lost in atlanta

Lost: One Medium-Sized, Tape-Bound Notebook With Unlined Pages

To the Atlanta Community Member Who Finds My Notebook: Hello. You seem to have become a person of some importance to me. You see, the notebook which has for some reason come into your possession has been part of my life for the past few weeks. I'm not sure where I lost it or how, but I feel its loss quite strongly. And I have to say, it feels very odd to think about it in your hands, you being a person I have never met. In case you were wondering, the section in the back with all those pages about aliens is work I've done for a screenwriting job. I don't actually believe in aliens, at least not the kind that come to this planet to rip out people's eyes. I just want to make that clear to you. And please understand that the alien scheme is copyrighted, and not by me, but by a bigshot director out in hollywood. He'd probably sue you if you tried to sell the story. Not that you'd want to, it isn't very good.

As for the pages that look like journal entries and read like journal entries, well they're not real. I mean, they're not mine. I'm not that fucked up. Or well, I'm not usually that fucked up. They're just part of a short story I'm writing about a girl that's had a tough week. But I'd appreciate it if you didn't read them anyway. Just out of courtesy-- to the character. And to me, because I like to write a few drafts before I show anyone anything.

And I guess I should mention that to purchase such a simple, medium-sized, tape-bound notebook with unlined pages, I had to search almost every paper store in Manhattan, an endeavor which took approximately six months. And if I wanted to return to that little university paper store in the east village to buy another such notebook so perfect for writing and travel, I would have to drive 3,000 miles since I have recently moved to the other side of the country. I suppose you're wondering what type of person would go to such great lengths for a notebook. Well, I'm wondering what type of person you are, so that makes us even.

Losing my notebook was probably fate's way of telling me to put this week behind me - or to let you have a good laugh at my expense. Maybe both. Maybe I should find comfort in the knowledge that my notebook made someone smile. Maybe it even made your day. Or maybe it weirded you out. If it did, I'm sorry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

automath

the water

february 2019